Monday 29 April 2013

Beef Rendang the Hairy Bikers' way

I have made Beef Rendang only three times, once from Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey recipe and twice from The Hairy Bikers' Great Curries. While both were excellent, the Hairy Bikers' recipe, pictured above, was my favourite.
It was extremely easy to prepare, with first using a mini-blender to create a paste from red onions, garlic, chillies, lemongrass, ginger and galangal. Then frying the paste off and adding ground cumin, coriander and turmeric. Follow this with chopped beef, seared with all the spices and then add coconut milk, water, kaffir lime leaves, cinnamon stick, tamarind paste, palm sugar, soy sauce and salt. Simmer for 2.5 hours.
I took their advice and made this the day before I was due to eat it and it was a wonderful, warming dish.

I have cooked with both books several times and all the curries I made were fantastic. I hear that Rick Stein is publishing a new Indian cookbook in July to tie in with his new series exploring Indian curries on the BBC. I will be pre-ordering mine and will bring you more of his recipes in due course.

Rick Stein Far Eastern Odyssey - Amazon
Hairy Bikers' Great Curries - Amazon








No comments:

Post a Comment